Following an extensive tour and review of ongoing road projects in the state, Abia State Governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, has approved the immediate commencement of Operation Zero Pothole by the state ministry of works in Aba and Umuahia. The contractors handling the projects are hereby advised to work mostly at night to ensure minimal disruption of traffic.
Furthermore, the Governor has directed contractors handling the following road projects to deliver before the stated deadlines or risk sanctions:
1. Osisioma Junction – MCC Junction of Aba – Owerri Road. The contractor has until 14th of November, 2019 to deliver the project and fully open the road to users.
2. Obikabia – Umuene Road project in Isialangwa South LGA is expected be completed before 30th of October, 2019.
3. Afo Ibeji Umuahia palliative road project should be completed before the end of October 2019.
4. The contractor handling Okpu – Umuobo – Mgboko Obingwa Road should resume work immediately to ensure completion before the end of first quarter of 2020.
5. Aba Road Umuahia project should be completed before the second week of November 2019.
6. Osusu Road contractor has a deadline of 30th October, 2019 to complete the Rigid Pavement Technology project.
7. Abiriba – Nkporo Road contractor should hand over the completed project by 30th November, 2019.
8. The state ministry of works has also been directed to execute extensive palliative maintenance work on Ururuka Road within 10 days to ensue free flow of traffic on all segments of the road.
9. The contractor handling Osisioma Flyover is hereby directed to immediately commence sucking out the water at the road median preparatory to final phase of work on the project.
Governor Ikpeazu will lead a monitoring team to ensure that concerned contractors comply with these directives.
Chief John Okiyi Kalu
Honorable Commssioner for Information