New York Attack: Five Argentinian Friends Named Among Eight Killed – As It Happened

0

 

Belgian woman also among dead in act of terror that also injured 11Suspect is Sayfullo Saipov, according to reportsFull report: several killed after vehicle drives on to bike path in New York
What we know so far about the attack

Claire Phipps and Sam Levin

Wednesday 1 November 2017 07.17 GMTFirst published on Tuesday 31 October 201721.21 GMT

2h agoWhat we know so far4h agoWhat we know so far7h agoBelgian woman confirmed killed7h agoFive Argentinians confirmed killed8h agoThree Argentinian citizens among eight dead9h agoTwo children on school bus among injured9h agoCuomo to attacker: ‘You didn’t win’

 

2h ago 07:08

What we know so far

Claire Phipps

The attack

Eight people were killed and 11 – including two children – were injured after a truck was driven into a cycleway in lower Manhattan, close to the site of the 9/11 memorial, on Tuesday afternoon.
The suspect was shot in the abdomen by police after he exited the truck. Officials later said a pellet gun and paintball gun had been found.Unconfirmed reports suggested a note or notes had also been found in or near the truck, but these could not be verified.New York city mayor Bill de Blasio said the incident was being treated as “a particularly cowardly act of terror”.Read more

The victims

Five of those killed have been named as friends from Argentina who had travelled to New York as part of a larger group celebrating the 30th anniversary of their graduation from high school.The Argentinian foreign ministry named them as Hernán Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damián Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernán Ferruchi, all in their late 40s.A sixth friend, Martin Ludovico Marro, was injured.A Belgian woman was also among the dead. Belgium’s foreign minister, Didier Reynders, said she “was a woman from Roulers in western Flanders who was on a city trip with with her sister and her mother”, but she has not yet been named.The two other people who died have not yet been identified.Two children injured when the truck hit their school bus were not seriously hurt, New York governor Andrew Cuomo said.Read more

 

0:35

Suspect in New York terror attack runs through streets before being shot – video

The suspect

The suspect has been named as Sayfullo Saipov, a 29-year-old Uzbek national who entered the US in 2010.Saipov worked as an Uber driver, the company confirmed, adding that he had passed a background check.He is reported to have lived in Ohio, Florida and latterly in Paterson, New Jersey. Reuters reported he has a history of traffic violations.Dilfuza Iskhakova, who lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, told the Guardianthat Saipov had stayed with her for several months about six years ago after arriving from Uzbekistan:

He seemed like a nice guy, but he didn’t talk much.”

After being shot in the abdomen by a police officer, he has undergone surgery and remains in critical condition in hospital. He is expected to survive.
Read more

The response

Overnight, police officers cordened off a Home Depot rental lot in New Jersey where the suspect is believed to have hired the truck used in the attack.US president Donald Trump reacted via Twitter, first calling it “another attack by a very sick and deranged person” and later adding:

We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!”

Later on Tuesday night, Trump said new measures were being taken in the aftermath of the attack. He tweeted:

I have just ordered Homeland Security to step up our already Extreme Vetting Program. Being politically correct is fine, but not for this!”

Neither the department of homeland security nor the White House offered further elaboration on what that order might be.Read more

Updated at 7.09am GMT

 

Five friends from Argentina celebrating the 30th anniversary of their high school graduation were among those killed in the attack.

Argentina’s foreign ministry confirmed that Hernán Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damián Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernán Ferruchi were among the eight people killed when a truck was driven into a cycle lane in Manhattan.

A sixth member of the group, Martin Ludovico Marro, is being treated at the Presbyterian hospital of Manhattan for injuries sustained in the attack.

Share

3h ago 06:29

Reuters reports that the suspect, named as Sayfullo Saipov, has a history of traffic violations, citing media reports and court records.

In one incident, state judicial records show, Saipov was stopped in central Pennsylvania for pulling a truck trailer that was longer than permitted by law, “operating unsafe equipment” and driving with the wrong operator’s licence.

Saipov listed both Paterson and Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, as his addresses. He paid his fine by mail and did not have to appear in court, Reuters reports.

 

Associated Press has more on the overnight police investigation:

A roughly two-mile (3.2km) stretch of highway in downtown Manhattan was shut down for the investigation. Authorities also converged on a New Jersey home and a van in a parking lot at a New Jersey Home Depot store.

Authorities were scrutinising a note found inside the attacker’s rented truck, according to two law enforcement officials who were not authorised to discuss the ongoing investigation and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Police and the FBI urged members of the public to give them any photos or video that could help.

 

A minivan is taped off by police at a parking lot of a Home Depot in Passaic New Jersey. Photograph: Jerry Siskind/Reuters

 

Lois Beckett

Hours after the terror attack, tens of thousands of New Yorkers gathered in Manhattan for a Halloween parade, and even those dressed as chickens said they were not afraid.

Police guard as revellers march during the Greenwich Village Halloween parade. Photograph: Andres Kudacki/AP

“The police took care of the attack,” said Marc Cruz, a 28-year-old in a chicken costume. He said he felt “pretty safe”.

Brandon McCall, 29, was wearing a luxuriant feather jacket paired with a handmade chicken mask and bright yellow tights. Asked if he had considered not coming to the parade because of the attack that afternoon he said: “Oh no, not at all!”

“So many people were telling me not to come. I said: ‘You have to live your life’,” said Alexandra Colon, 37, who came to the parade as Kate Winslet in Titanic, with a cardboard Leonardo DiCaprio hovering over her shoulder.

Sixteen years ago, Colon had watched the World Trade Center fall from her home across the river in Jersey City. She had not even considered skipping this year’s Village Halloween parade, which she has been attending since she was 17.

“I’m not going to let terrorists stop my life … they’re not going to win,” said Alex Tutino, 20, who was wearing a tangle of neon balloons with paper fish taped to them. He was dressed, he said, as “Finding Nemo.”

‘We feel safe’: defiant New Yorkers parade on Halloween despite truck attack

Revellers take to the streets in Manhattan just hours after eight people were killed and several injuredNew York attack: five Argentinian friends named among victims – updates

 

What we know so far

Eight people have been killed and 11 others, including two children, were injured when a man drove aHome Depot rental truck through a New York city cycle lane.
Five Argentinian friends on holiday in Manhattan are among the dead.A Belgian woman visiting the city with her sister and mother is also one of the fatalities.The suspect is 29-year-old Uzbekistan national and Uber driverSayfullo Saipov, who was shot in the abdomen by police.
Saipov has undergone surgery and remains in critical condition in hospital. He is expected to survive.Authorities are calling the attack an act of terror.
Donald Trump tweeted:

We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!”

He later tweeted “thoughts, condolences and prayers” to the victims.
Governor Andrew Cuomo called it a “lone wolf” attack, and authorities have said there is no ongoing threat or evidence of a wider plot.
New York officials have not released details of any possible motive, and other elected officials have not referenced Isis in their public statements.The attack occurred a few blocks from the new World Trade Centerbuilding at the site of the 9/11 terrorist attack in 200

4h ago 05:03

There have been multiple – and conflicting – reports that a note and/or flag has been found in the truck used in the attack. The Guardian is working to verify these reports, which have not been officially confirmed.

The New York Times reports that “handwritten notes in Arabic near the truck … indicated allegiance to the Islamic State”, while CNN says a note was written in English, also indicating support for Isis, and was found inside the truck.

Others including the Daily Mailclaim an Isis flag was found in the truck. This has not been confirmed.

Share

5h ago 04:22

Michael McGowan

The man accused of driving a Home Depot rental truck into a group of pedestrians and cyclists in New Yorkis an Uzbekistan national who lived in New Jersey and drove for Uber.

As authorities work to piece together the events that led to the deadly attack, some details about Sayfullo Saipov’s life are beginning to surface.

Saipov is reported to have entered the US in 2010 and lived in Ohio, Florida and latterly in Paterson, New Jersey.

Dilfuza Iskhakova, who lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, told the Guardianthat Saipov had stayed with her for several months about six years ago after arriving from Uzbekistan.

“He seemed like a nice guy, but he didn’t talk much,” Iskhakova told the Guardian. “He only went to work and came back. He used to work at a warehouse.”

Iskhakova said Saipov had been applying for a green card when she knew him. Ohio state records show he registered a business involving vehicles to her home in May 2011.

Iskhakova said her family had lost contact with Saipov in recent years and she thought he had moved from Ohio to Florida, then to the New York region, and that he now had a wife and two young children.

Sayfullo Saipov named as suspect in New York truck attack killings

The 29-year-old Uber driver was arrested after rental truck ploughed into cyclists and pedestrians, leaving eight dead and 11 injured

Read more

5h ago 04:12

The Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi, has offered condolences to the victims of the attack:

Narendra Modi(@narendramodi)

Strongly condemn the terror attack in New York City. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with those injured.

November 1, 2017

Share

6h ago 03:42

Amateur footage appears to show the suspect running through the streets of Manhattan brandishing what looks like a firearm as gunshots ring out.

He was later found to be carrying a pellet gun and paintball gun, officials said.

 

Suspect in New York terror attack runs through streets before being shot – video

Share

6h ago 03:23

Officials have not confirmed that the 29-year-old suspect is Sayfullo Saipov, but he has been widely identified by media and now by verification from Uber that he was a driver for them.

The man now in custody was shot in the abdomen by police after he left the rental truck, having mown down a number of pedestrians and cyclists and ramming a school bus. He was wielding what turned out to be a pellet gun and a paintball gun.

He has undergone surgery and remains in critical condition in hospital. He is expected to survive.

Saipov is 29 and originally from Uzbekistan. He reportedly came to the US legally in 2010 and has since been connected to Florida, New Jersey and Ohio.

6h ago 03:14

Uber confirms that Saipov passed the background check to become one its drivers.

He has now been banned from the app, it says.

Share

6h ago 02:48

The suspect in custody, named unofficially as Sayfullo Saipov, was an Uber driver, it has emerged.

The company has issued the following statement:

Claudia Koerner(@ClaudiaKoerner)

Sayfullo Saipov was an Uber driver. The company is working with the FBI but hasn’t yet identified anything to cause concern in his history.pic.twitter.com/F8bUKdPz8R

November 1, 2017

Share

7h ago 02:41

Belgian woman confirmed killed

The Belgian foreign minister Didier Reynders has told the Belga news agency that the Belgian citizen killed in the attack “was a woman from Roulers in western Flanders who was on a city trip with with her sister and her mother” in New York.

Belgium’s consul general was helping the family, he added.

7h ago 02:34

After news that five Argentinian men were among the eight killed in the attack, Argentina’s president Mauricio Macri has tweeted:

Profoundly moved by the tragic deaths this afternoon in NY. We place ourselves at the disposition of the families of the Argentinian victims.”

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here