Acting Managing Director/CEO of the NDDC, Prof Nelson Brambaifa has declared that the interventionist agent has as part of its mandate to fastrack development in the region completed 800 projects in Rivers state. This is as the Commission has also issued 103 fresh contract awards; while another 540 projects are currently ongoing at various locations in the state.
Prof Brambaifa disclosed this when he led top Management staff of the NDDC on a courtesy visit to Rivers State Governor, Barr Nyesom Wike.
The NDDC boss listed some significant projects undertaken by the Agency, to include:
1. The 4.72km Kaa-Ataba road and bridge project with 3 bridges worth over 10billion Naira.
2. Construction of a mini-students hostel and roads at the Federal College of Education (Technical), Omoku.
3. Upgrading and rehabilitation of township distribution network of Injection Substation; construction of 1x15MVA injection substation at Omoku.
4. Reconstruction of 2.6km Reclamation road in PH township.
5. Construction of Niger Delta Regional Hospital (Cardiovascular Hospital), PHC.
6. Construction of Niger Delta Regional Specialist Hospital (Orthopaedic Hospital), PHC.
7. Construction of Special Police Unit at Omagwa.
8. Rural electrification intervention at Ubima & Isiokpo in Ikwerre LGA
Prof Nelson Brambaifa also reiterated the need to revive the Niger Delta Development masterplan as well as the Partners for Sustainable Development coupled with the Governor’s Advisory Committee so that the Agency can get counsel, advice and direction from Governors of the nine mandate states.
In a related development, the office of the MD/CEO of the NDDC wish to clarify that the partnership agreement reached with the Rivers State Government over the Mother & Child Hospital predates his appointment as NDDC boss and so would require careful scrutiny on the part of the new Management in order to ensure that the Agency’s financial obligation to that agreement is liquidated.
Prof Brambaifa assures that the Agency is working so hard to meet all obligations and complete all ongoing projects even with the ₦1.9trillion of the NDDC funds withheld by previous Federal Government administrations.
Similarly, the Acting MD/CEO of the NDDC, Prof Nelson Brambaifa led top Management staff to inspect the failed portion of the East/West road at Nkpolu in Obio/Akpor LGA of Rivers State. He promised that as part of the interventionist mandate of the NDDC, work will soon commence on the site in order to restore business and economic activities in that area as well as put a stop to the loss of human lives occasioned by flooding activities in that area.
Nancy Stephens Ijaopo
Special Assistant Media to the Ag MD/CEO, NDDC.