…Expresses satisfaction with quality of work
1. Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Barrister Ezenwo Nyesom Wike, on Wednesday, November 22, 2023, inspected more road projects in the FCT that are expected to be completed by May, 2024.
2. Among the projects inspected include expansion of the Southern Expressway from Villa Roundabout to OSEX/Ring Road I (RRI) Junction, including four numbers of interchanges, being constructed by the C.G.C Nig. Ltd.
3. Others are the Full scope Development of Arterial Road N20 from Northern Parkway to the Outer Northern Expressway (ONEX) with spurs being undertaken by Gilmore and the Access Road to Body of Benchers in the Institution and Research District, being constructed by H&R Construction Ltd.
4. The Minister explained that the inspection visit was part of efforts to ensure that the road projects meet expected standards.
5. He also expressed satisfaction with the progress of the ongoing road projects and assured that arrangements have been made for funding to ensure that they are completed within schedule.
6. Barr. Wike said President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had directed him to ensure that the projects were well funded, adding that funds from the FCT’s 2023 supplementary budget would also be channeled to these projects to ensure their completion.
7. The FCT Minister who disclosed that a lot of road projects in the FCT would be completed and commissioned by May next year, said, “The contractors have assured us that these roads will be completed on time and we believe by the special grace of God, they are part of those projects earmarked for the celebration of one year in office of Mr. President.”
8. Speaking further, the Minister said, “We have made arrangement for funding. Mr. President has said severally that he does not want excuses. He has given me that directive. They have approved the supplementary budget and we believe any moment from now, we would see further funding which would be channeled to most of these projects. So, you won’t hear complaints about no funding like they have said last time.”
9. On the quality of the road projects, the Minister said, “The contractors have done very well, very quality jobs, I commend them and I appeal to them not to lower the standard. They have also assured us that they are going to complete them”.
10. The FCT Minister further stated that economic activities will improve in the FCT on completion of the road projects and noted that they would also help to renew the hope of the people and improve their confidence in the government.
11. He said, “This is what the people want. It is not theories and theories. It is being practical. Let them see action. They have lost hope but by the President’s Renewed Hope Agenda, hope is coming back to the people. They now have confidence in governance.”
12. Addressing the gathering of residents who came to show their support and appreciation, the Minister informed them that President Tinubu is determined to bring back the lost hope in the FCT by completing the road projects.
13. He said, “I assure you that by May 2024, within the next six, seven months, these roads will be completed”.
14. The Minister also reiterated the resolve of the FCT Administration not to embark on any project without the availability of funds.
15. Also speaking during the visit to the OSEX, the Executive Secretary FCDA, Engr. Shehu Ahmad Hadi explained that the four-carriageway road project will have four interchange bridges and a distinctive feature of bituminous macadam which will increase its life span. He said the pace of work on the project has increased to hasten its completion.
16. On their part, the contractors also thanked the FCT Minister for his support and expressed satisfaction with the level of funding for the road projects. They also assured that the projects would be completed within schedule.
17. The FCT Minister was accompanied on the inspection tour by the Executive Secretary, FCDA Engr. Shehu Hadi Ahmed and relevant senior officials of the FCT Administration.