Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the second elected Vice-President of Nigeria from 1999 to 2007, on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), with President Olusegun Obasanjo, has unbosomed himself to a Premium Times journalist in one of his latest powerful interviews.
The Naij.com team has gathered the most striking quotes that will shed light on Mr Abubakar’s moral principles, life’s milestones, corruption accusations, сomplicated relationship with his boss and colleagues, views on the present administration etc.
1. “I’ve been in politics for the last 25 years, and in those years I have fought the military to restore democracy; and after democracy was restored, by the grace of God and support of Nigerians.”
2. “I have always fought injustice since my student days and therefore if I believed I was pursuing a right, just cause, I give it all my strength and courage to make sure I get justice.”
3. “If Atiku Abubakar was corrupt, he would have been found guilty of corruption by all the panels and probes and cases that were brought before the courts.”
4. “I still thank God and him (former President Olusegun Obasanjo) for nominating me as his Vice President which gave me the opportunity to experience governance at the highest level.”
5. “As far as politics is concerned I don’t have any enemy; I could have an opponent. Enmity is too strong a word to use in a relationship that is purely political.”
6. “Well, if Atiku Abubakar was corrupt, he would have been found guilty of corruption by all the panels and probes and cases that were brought before the courts.”
7. “I recall when he came to ask for my forgiveness, I said if you want me to forgive you Nuhu, go to the same television stations where you said I was corrupt and say you now realize that I am not corrupt.”
8. “After going through (the amendment of the Constitution), I found out that tenure limits had been removed. In other words he could be President for life!”
9. “You can separate money from politics if you have the right leadership. The leadership should give focus and direction as far as fighting corruption is concerned.”
Bonus quote: “Because, what was $100,000 to me?”