Chibok Girls Returns Pregnant [Full Details Of Release]

Spread the post

Thirty months in Boko Haram captivity, 21 girls breathed the
air of freedom yesterday after they were seized from the Government Girls
Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State. 

Most of the Chibok girls as they were
called, returned pregnant, while others are already mothers. About 276 girls
were abducted from their dormitory in the night of April 14, 2014. 
As they
returned on Thursday, October 13, 2016 19 parents of the girls have died from the trauma of their
wards’ incarcerations.
The Presidency confirmed the girls’ release  after being briefed by the Department of
State Services (DSS), saying their names would be released soon. 
Muhammadu Buhari was briefed before his departure for Germany yesterday.
The girls’ release was a product of negotiation involving
the Federal Government, Swiss authorities, the International Red Cross Society
and Boko Haram representatives. 
In fact, the girls were addressed by Vice
President Yemi Osinbajo at Aso Villa, Abuja, Thursday, October 13, 2016
Presidential spokesman, Mallam Garba Shehu confirmed the
The latest success came after the international intervention
of the Red Cross and the Swiss government, he said.
“The release of the girls, in a limited number is the
outcome of negotiations between the administration and Boko Haram brokered by
the International Red Cross and the Swiss government,” a statement issued by
Garba said, adding that the talks will continue. 
Although sources claimed the
girls were swapped for four Boko Haram insurgents, whose identities wet
unknown, but the Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, denied such deal.
However, the insurgents had earlier demanded the release of
members held by the government, as a condition for freeing the girls.
How they were released
Sources said the exchange took place Wednesday night when
Nigerian military officials, alongside personnel of United Nations, Red Cross
and National Emergency Management Agency, conveyed four Boko Haram militants by
chopper to Banki, a border town in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
There, 21 released girls were picked up. 
The girls were
brought into Maiduguri Air Force base at about 8.30a.m.
The sources said most of the girls had babies.
Many residents of Maiduguri were woken by the sounds of aircraft
hovering in the air yesterday morning.
BBOG reacts
“We welcome reports from the presidential spokesperson,
Garba Shehu, of the negotiated release of 21 of our abducted #ChibokGirls,”
today read a statement by the group.
“This wonderful development confirms what we have always
known about the capacity of our government to rescue our #ChibokGirls.
“While awaiting further details, we take this opportunity to
salute the work of our security services at the front lines — the commitment,
resilience and tireless efforts of our members of the Multi-national Joint Task
Force and the civilian JTF. 
We also thank the International Committee of the
Red Cross, the Swiss government and all negotiators involved in securing the
Also, a leader of the BBOG and former Education Minister,
Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili, said, “she can only cry and weep”.
Ezekwesili, –vilified by the government and security
agencies for continuously leading protests to the presidential villa –could not
hide her joy.
“I can only weep, right now. You know that kind of cry that
is a mix of multiple emotions. Lord. Some of OUR Girls ARE BACK!!! B. A. C.
K.!!,” she tweeted.
“As WE @BBOG_Nigeria wait for FG and #ChibokParents
identification of OUR 21 #ChibokGirls, THANK YOU, LORD.  THANK YOU, @MBuhari .Thank you.”
Ezekwesili added that even though it was 4am in the part of
the United States that she was, she could no longer sleep.
“It is 4am in California and I can no longer sleep. Join me
in singing the words of Psalm126… “When the Lord turned again the CAPTIVITY…”
Trauma centre
Meanwhile, the Federal Government yesterday assembled a team
of medical doctors, psychologists, social workers, trauma experts among others
to properly examine the 21 girls.
In denying the swap deal, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who confirmed
the release at a press conference in Abuja yesterday, revealed that the DSS in
collaboration with a friendly European country, renowned international
humanitarian organization and supported by the military pursued the leads
directed by President Buhari.
While insisting that there was no swap deal for the released
girls, the minister maintained that it was as a result of the confidence
building that has existed overtime and interventions from friendly countries
and organisations.
He noted that the assemblage of the experts is to ascertain
the state of the health of the released girls disconnected after speeding over
900 days in captivity, stressing: “The first thing we are going to do is to see
what is the state of their health and mind before anything else. The parents
will also identify them before they will be finally released to them.”
“We can confirm that 21 of the girls were released, safely,
to us by 5.30 on Thursday morning and they were flown to Kaduna from the
location of their release.”
“This is the most glaring manifestation to date of the
unwavering commitment of Mr. President to secure the safe release of the girls
and reunite them with their families. It is also a result of the
round-the-clock efforts by the administration to put a closure to the sad issue
of the kidnap of the girls.
“The released girls will land in Abuja. However, ahead of
their arrival, we have assembled a team of medical doctors, psychologists,
social workers, trauma experts, etc to properly examine them, especially
because they have been in captivity for so long.”
No swap deal
Refuting the impression that there was a swap deal, the
Information Minister said: “I repeat, this is not a swap deal but a release
effected because over time, we succeeded in confidence building. It was
possible because we use friendly countries and organisations in this process.
It is not also true that they were released in exchange for any freed four Boko
Haram members. This particular release is very significant because it is the
first step in what we believe will lead to the eventual release of the
remaining school girls.”
On the continuation of military operation despite the
release, he said: “When you are fighting insurgency, it is a combination of
carrot and stick. The release of these girls does not mean the end to military
operations but it could also mean a new phase in the conduct of the war against
“On the impression that the whole thing about Chibok girls
is a farce, I want to say that you can only wake up a man who is sleeping not
the one pretending to be sleeping.
“There is nothing we can do or say to convince those who
have made up their minds that the whole thing is a sham. However, the parents
of these girls are the major stakeholders and the ones that matter not the
opinion of anybody,” he said.
19 parents die
Meanwhile, about 19 parents of the girls will never see
their daughters again.
Last year, a village near Chibok was under siege from Boko
Haram. Seven fathers of the kidnapped girls were among 51 bodies taken to
Chibok hospital after an attack on the nearby village of Kautakari, said a
health worker who declined to be named for fear of reprisals .
Community leader, Pogu Bitrus, also said at least, four more
parents have died of heart failure, high blood pressure and other illnesses.
“One father of two of the girls kidnapped just went into
coma and kept repeating the names of his daughters, until life left him,” said
In May 2016, Ayama Pogu, a retired Assistant Superintendent
of Police (ASP) said his wife died as a result of the emotional trauma she
suffered following the abduction of their daughter, Margaret.  Pogu said although he was optimistic about
reuniting with his daughter, some of the abducted girls might never be rescued.
“Even if the children were to return, I am of the view that not all of them
will come back in one piece,” Pogu said.
Just last month, a member of Kibaku Area Development
Association (KADA), Chibok, Borno State, Dr. Allen Manasseh, said yesterday in
Abuja that four of the 19 parents were killed by the terrorists in subsequent
attacks that occurred after the abduction of the girls.

He said the remaining 15, including Mrs. Paul Lalai, whose
twin daughters were among the abducted girls, died of trauma. “Yes, 19 of the
parents have died since the abduction of the girls,” he said

Spread the post


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here