The Federal Government has reacted to the decision by the Edo State government to stop the National Sports Festival due to lack of funds.
It had been reported that the Local Organizing Committee of the event had threatened to shut down the event by 12pm on Thursday following the failure of the federal government to release funds for the event which has been on for the past one week.
Reacting, the Assistant Director, Ministry of Youths and Sports Development, Ramon Balogun, in a statement said the federal government was unaware of any threat by the state government to shut down the sports festival.
The Ministry also said that it is expected that the Edo State Government would formally invite them for a meeting should any urgency exist around the National Sports Festival.
“The Ministry of Youths and Sports Development has clarified that the 20th National Sports Festival, Edo 2020, is going on as planned with competitions going on as scheduled.
“The Ministry and the Main Organizing Committee for the festival are unaware of any plans or threat by the Edo State Government to shut down the sports festival as there has been no official meeting that relayed such information.
“The Honourable Minister, Permanent Secretary and Directors are on ground in Benin City where the Festival is holding, and it is expected that the Edo State Government would formally invite the Ministry for a meeting should any urgency exist around the National Sports Festival,” the statement said.